Mon-Fri: 08:30 – 20:30 Sat: 09:00 – 17:00

SHS Jargon Buster vol. 3 – Products Edition

2 years ago 0 category Knowledge Centre Product Info

We’re back with another edition of the SHS Jargon Buster and this time around you can get clear on what some of our more obscure sounding products actually are. Read on balustrade buffs!


SHS Products Stainless Steel Drain Block For Frameless Balustrade System

Drain Block

A drain block is an aluminium U-Shaped sheet. This is installed below the channel shoe of our Frameless balustrade, which allows water to drain.




Professional Wall Flange - Stainless Steel - SHS Products



Wall Flange

A wall flange (also known as an upright clamp) is a Stainless Steel socket that fixes a handrail to a wall or other perpendicular surface. The one pictured left is for our Professional, Wire Rope or Steel Rod Balustrades. We also supply a Square Wall Flange suitable for the Square Handrail and the Slotted Wall Flange suitable for our Slotted Handrail.






SHS Products - Frameless Channel Shoe for Glass Balustrade


Channel Shoe

The Channel Shoe is part of our Frameless system. It’s a U-shaped aluminium shoe with isolators, these hold the glass panels in place without the need for posts or a frame (Hence the name!). Sold in 3m lengths as standard, this shoe is available with two types of construction: 12mm and 15-21.5mm. This means it is suitable for all Frameless glass panels from SHS Products.



SHS Products - Swage Rigging Screw for use in Wire Rope Stainless Steel Balustrade



Swage Rigging Screw

Also known as the ‘Turnbuckle Tensioner’, this closed-body turnbuckle is used for tensioning the wire rope as part of the Wire Rope system. You will need one Swage Rigging Screw for every run of wire and generally there are five rows of wire as standard.




SHS Products - Swage Fork Terminal for use in Wire Rope Stainless Steel Balustrade




Swage Fork Terminal

The Swage Fork Terminal secures the wire at the opposite end of a run to the Swage Rigging Screw. Like the Rigging Screw, you will need one Swage Fork Terminal per run of wire.



Stainless Steel Eyelet for use in fitting Balustrade Wire Rope to Wood

Stainless Steel Eyelet for use in fitting Balustrade Wire Rope to Metal



Eyelets from SHS Products come in two forms – for fixing to wood and metal. They are used with our Wire Rope system to fix the 4mm wire cable to the posts. Pictured below are the Metal Eyelet (left) and the Wood Eyelet (right).



Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to keep up with our Jargon Busters.



Similar stories

What Is A Balustrade?

Handrail, Fence, Balcony, Railing, Banister, you...

Top Tips To Picking a Balustrade

Picking a balustrade can be a detailed process, ...

A Guide To Understanding Planning Permission

Are you building a balustrade? Are you unsure on...